Steinway Artist and Grammy-nominated pianist/singer-songwriter/NPR host, Judy Carmichael is considered one of the leading interpreters of stride and swing piano. Count Basie nicknamed her “Stride,” acknowledging the command with which she plays this technically and physically demanding jazz piano style. She has written two celebrated books of stride arrangements for Alfred Publishing and a recently published memoir, Swinger! A Jazz Girl’s Adventures From Hollywood To Harlem.
A native of California, Judy moved to Manhattan in 1985 and has maintained a busy annual international concert schedule ever since, playing the major concert halls and festivals from Carnegie Hall and the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice to Arondale Castle in England and Castle Fraser in Scotland. In 1992, Judy Carmichael was the first jazz musician sponsored by the United States Government to tour China.
Judy Carmichael’s humor, audience rapport and frequent radio and TV appearances gives her shows broad appeal and a large following of all ages, both jazz aficionados and the uninitiated. She has been featured on Entertainment Tonight, CBS’ Sunday Morning, NPR’s Morning Edition, A Prairie Home Companion as well as numerous shows for the BBC, Australian Broadcast Corporation and Brazilian television. 2020 marks the 20th year on air for Judy Carmichael’s Jazz Inspired, the popular Podcast/NPR show which Judy produces and hosts, talking with everyone from Tony Bennett to Seth MacFarlane about their love of jazz and how it inspires them.
This concert is made possible in part with a grant from SouthArts JazzRoad Tours
CLICK HERE to view this performance's program
Run Time: 90 minutes with intermission.
This is a rain or shine event and will relocate indoors to the intimate Black Box Cabaret if weather conditions do not allow for an outdoor performance. Please call the box office at 786-573-5300 after 12 p.m. on the day of show to get updated information about the event and location.
Recommended for ages 7+. All patrons entering the theater require a ticket, regardless of age. The ticket price is for a two-seat pod. Please do not bring lawn chairs, blankets, coolers or outside food and drink. Seating will be made available to guests.
PLEASE NOTE: We are excited, as a first step, to welcome you back to the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, by activating our Backyard Concert Lawn for a series of socially distant performances. In preparation for your arrival, the Center has taken numerous precautions to ensure the health and safety of our guests and employees. The following is list of measures we are taking for a safe re-opening following the guidelines put in place by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and Miami-Dade County’s New Normal Guide.
- Daily COVID-19 testing of the dancers and artistic staff leading up to and including day-of performance
- Patrons must wear a face mask or a protective face covering upon entering the premises and within shared spaces. Face masks and coverings may be removed once seated at designated pod.
- Reduced audience capacity
- Hand sanitizer stations have been located at all entryways, and high traffic areas
- Floor marking to assist in maintaining social distancing
- Outdoor seating “pods” spaced beyond the minimum 6’ requirements
- Staff training conducted in advance on CDC, and Miami-Dade County Covid-19 related protocols and procedures
- Enhanced cleaning procedures including disinfecting all high touch surfaces
- Touchless faucets, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers have been installed where possible
- Open lid garbage and recycle bins are in place
- Temporary reduction or elimination of concessions
In the event that the Center must cancel this event, the following options will be available to patrons:
- Receive a refund
- Exchange your ticket for a gift certificate
- Exchange your ticket for an alternate show
It is the policy of Miami-Dade County to comply with all of the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The facility is accessible and Assistive Listening Devices are available in the Main Stage Auditorium and the Black Box Theater space. To request materials in accessible format, and/or any accommodation to attend an event at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, please contact Stephanie Aponte, 786-573-5314, firstname.lastname@example.org, at least five days in advance to initiate your request, TTY users may also call 711 (Florida Relay Service).