“A solid relationship is when someone has your back and will stand by your side no matter what,” explains Boney James about the title of his new CD. “Solid is a word that has a few meanings, but this one really resonated with me and became the theme of the record.”
Solid is the four-time GRAMMY nominated saxophonist’s seventeenth album as a leader. Solid follows up his smash 2017 release Honestly which became his eleventh #1 Billboard Contemporary Jazz Album.
Sometimes, inspiration is slow in coming, evasive and stubborn. Other times, if an artist is very fortunate, it simply flows, the music practically writing itself. That’s how Solid, the latest release from Boney James came to be. “This record really flowed at an unusually quick pace,” Boney says. “There was a lot of positive energy in making this music. Solid is a very upbeat record. As I was writing them, these songs put a smile on my face.”
Boney James’ personal relationship with music has never been anything but solid. Picking up the sax at age 10 in his native New Rochelle, New York, “I immediately loved it, and it pretty quickly became my favorite thing to do.” By the time he entered his teens, James was gigging with bands, and he turned pro at 19. He apprenticed as a sideman for artists like Morris Day, The Isley Brothers, Teena Marie and many others, touring and doing sessions for seven years before cutting his first solo album in 1992. The independently released Trust led immediately to a major label deal and a string of increasingly successful recordings and nonstop touring.
Now a four-time GRAMMY nominee with four RIAA Gold records and career sales topping three million units, James continues to defy musical genres.
This performance has no intermission.
*VIP ticket includes table seating and complimentary beverage.
Recommended for all ages. All patrons entering the theater require a ticket, regardless of age. Outside food & beverage are not allowed into the venue. Strollers are not permitted inside the auditorium.
PLEASE NOTE: In preparation for your arrival, the Center has taken numerous precautions to ensure the health and safety of our guests and employees. The following is list of measures we are taking for a safe re-opening following the guidelines put in place by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and Miami-Dade County’s New Normal Guide.
- Patrons must wear a face mask or a protective face covering upon entering the premises and within shared spaces. Face masks and coverings may be removed once seated at designated seat.
- Temperature checks
- Reduced audience capacity
- Hand sanitizer stations have been located at all entryways, and high traffic areas
- Floor marking to assist in maintaining social distancing
- Outdoor seating “pods” spaced beyond the minimum 6’ requirements
- Staff training conducted in advance on CDC, and Miami-Dade County Covid-19 related protocols and procedures
- Enhanced cleaning procedures including disinfecting all high touch surfaces
- Touchless faucets, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers have been installed where possible
- Open lid garbage and recycle bins are in place
- Temporary reduction or elimination of concessions
Please call the SMDCAC Box Office (786-573-5300) after 12 p.m. the day of the performance to confirm if rescheduling is necessary.
In the event that the Center must cancel this event, the following options will be available to patrons:
- Receive a refund
- Exchange your ticket for a gift certificate
- Exchange your ticket for an alternate show
It is the policy of Miami-Dade County to comply with all of the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The facility is accessible and Assistive Listening Devices are available in the Main Stage Auditorium and the Black Box Theater space. To request materials in accessible format, and/or any accommodation to attend an event at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, please contact Stephanie Aponte, 786-573-5314, email@example.com, at least five days in advance to initiate your request, TTY users may also call 711 (Florida Relay Service).